Killed Again, Mr. Detective Volume 1 Case 1 Chapter 1 part 2

Volume 1

Case 1: Queen Irie Class Murder Incident

Chapter 1 Please deduce seriously every now and then (Part 2)

TLed by: TanoshiKara


Then, a message was sent to my phone. It was from my father.


Changing flights now. Ten thousand meters in the air. So higgghhh.


"Changing flights he says……"


I thought for sure that he was probably doing something along the lines of infiltrating a plane before takeoff. However, it seems like the hijacker has already had the plane take off.


I do not know how he is going to get on board a flying plane but if it is my father, he should be able to find a way.


"Quite the difference in approach between parent and child I see"


"That is because I am being the bad role model. That said, my father is scared of heights 


It will cause trouble so be sure not to fall from the skyor so I merely replied.





Makoto Katsuragi is a lanky man who draws quite the attention.


"He appears suave, very much fitting his occupation as a Producer from a big-name company"


He is drinking some juice with a weird palm tree, added as a decoration, while leaning on the railing of the deck.


Though he looks suave, I wonder what to think of his logic for ordering such a drink. A bother perhaps?


There is a group of young males close to him and they are exchanging words from time to time. Staff members who are accompanying him or cameramen most likely.


The sound of the engines of the passenger plane above reverberated as it flew off. Of course, that is a totally different passenger plane from the hijacked plane.


The deck has a circular pool and many people are either swimming or floating around on their swimming ring.  On the other side, a band member is performing upbeat music live.


At the Café terrace, I sit down on the chair, which is all too tall and thin, observing my target from afar.


"According to the documents, he was a former actor, even appearing in several movies it seems"


Sitting beside me is Lilithea, drinking the juice with a weird palm tree, added as a decoration. I pretended that I did not see this.


"It is no wonder. He looks old for his age but his face is refined. Having no luck with the actor side, he settled into the producing role perhaps?"


Even so, it seems like he has spread his name across the industry as a producer so he probably has talent in that field.



We tail Katsuragi even after he heads back into the ship, continuing to observe him from a distance until the Sun set in the horizon.


Katsuragi is currently enjoying his dinner at the restaurant inside the ship. We continue to observe him from seats far away.


"He is wearing it nonchalantly but that watch looks like it costs about the same as a new domestic car. Guess he is financially well off. Delicious"


Of course, we too will let ourselves savor the luxurious cuisines.


"If it is that person, he will not be bothered by being in close proximity with the opposite gender. This lamb meat's the best too"


"Sakuya-sama, you should not be gobbling them down"


Utilizing her knife and fork with motions as smooth as the flow of water, she brings the food to her mouth. A show of perfect mannerism.


"I cannot help it. I have next to no experience with such a luxurious cruise and restaurant after all"


"Did Tatsuya-sama not train you on mannerisms and the like in order for various kinds of assignments?"


"My father does not that. He does not have the skill to train others after all. He has not even grown flowers"


If there is something that my father is able to grow, it would probably be a rose on top of a net.


"Lilithea also knows this right? Observe as you like and steal itthat is father's ideology.


Hearing "Steal" from a detective's mouth is ironic, but it works.


By now, that father of mine is probably on the passenger plane playing out an action scene that will put those in the movies to shame or has already long resolved the case and returned back to land.


"By the way Lilithea, can I order one more plate of this Sherbet?" I tried asking as I found a chance.


After a moment when Lilithea seems to show signs that she is calculating something in her head, she forms a cross with both of her index fingers and, with an oddly affectionate expression says"Nope".


Neither "No" nor "That will not be possible" but instead, "Nope". Just like this, there will be inconsistencies with Lilithea's use of words from time to time. One possible reason might be that this is not her only mother tongue but, in this situation, it is simply because this is a conversation with just the two of us so she was merely out of it.


In order to emphasize her position as my assistant, Lilithea talks in formal speak when speaking to me but, she trips up at unexpected moments like this.


"Managing Sakuya-sama's calorie intake is also my job. Becoming a fatty is a big nope" She says as she further emphasizes the cross on her lips.


The gap between her serious expression and her mannerisms is astounding. No, there is a possibility that she might be waiting for me to retort. Let's try retorting when I get the chance next time.


And, even as she is restricting the calorie intake of another, Lilithea thoroughly savors the premium soft pudding in front of her.


Do not think that there is a dish after, cherish the dish in front of you. The wise Lilithea is telling me that.



Just after finishing dinner, the time is now half past seven at night. Lilithea and I were trying to get out onto the deck once again to watch the focus of the events of the first day, the Circus Onboard


We got hold of information that Katsuragi is bringing the staff along to watch it.


"Oh my! I am sorry"


On the way, I bumped into someone around the corner but, at that instant, rather than taking a look at the person's face, I apologized. When I did this, the other person had the most unexpected reaction.


"Ah! You! You are the son of that Outsuki!"


"Eh?"


I looked up and was surprised.


A worn coat, square shoulders, and naturally perm hair, an impressive feat.


"Oh, if it isn't Sozorogi-san"


What a surprise, the other person is someone I know of.


His name is Kaoruta Sozorogi, he and my father have known each other for close to ten years. Thirty and single. It seems like he is quite capable but he has not seen much promotion. He probably does not know many people. Simply put, an unpopular officer.


"Why is Sozorogi-san on such a high-class ship?"


"Leave me alone! Erm.....I was able to get on as my younger brother booked it for me"


Come to think of it, I heard before that his younger brother is an entrepreneur and is quite a celebrity.


"You being here means your father's here too right? Why must I see the faces of you two father and son on my long-awaited trip" He grumbles while scratching his hair.


"Good things usually never occur when you two......or rather, mainly when Tatsuya Outsuki is around. I do not want to get dragged into an unavoidable incident I tell you" Sozorogi's gaze is sharp but, when I take a closer look, I notice that it was due to exhaustion from his daily occupational duties.


"Is that not as if you are saying that my father is being pulled into such incidents by a mysterious force?"


Although, looking back at the past incidents, there is not one that I can unconditionally deny.


"But please do not worry. My father is settling a different matter and is not here"


"It is good if that is so......No, there is also the possibility that you, his son, have inherited his troublesome trait......"


"Please stop it"


"Anyway, you better behave yourself. Don't you go causing some troublesome incident. As you can see I am currently on vacation after all" He says as he points to a bar, on the ship, meant for adults.


"Alcohol I see. Not watching the circus performance?"


"Leave me alone. I do not have a companion with me anyway. Unlike you"


Sozorogi then points to Lilithea.


"You sure have it rough as well. To have the looking after of his good-for-nothing son pushed unto you by that guy Tatsuya. Tell me whenever you feel cornered. I will be sure to introduce you to a good lawyer"


Sozorogi meets with Lilithea on a daily basis but, somehow, this officer has a misunderstanding regarding the relationship between me and Lilithea.


Lilithea does not do anything to resolve this misunderstanding, merely stiffening her shoulders and shrugging them.


"Well then, in the name of alcohol, have a good night" Leaving behind these words of questionable meaning, Sozorogi disappears into the darkness of the bar.


The appearance of a detective and an officer on a ship out at sea, huh. Although this can indeed be called a coincidence, if this was a drama, this combination seems most likely to invite some sort of trouble.


"A force......huh. No, that cannot be"


"Tatsuya-sama, it is about time for the performance to start"


"Oh my, that is right. Let us be off"


Around the semi-circular stage, that was prepared beforehand, on the deck are chairs meant for the audience, arranged in an orderly manner.


The opening of the circus performance started right when Lilithea got to our seats after lining up. We are being squeezed by the surrounding people so much so that Lilithea's tropical juice is at a point where it is about to spill out.


The pamphlet we got at the entrance has, other than the sponsoring organizations and programs, the names of the supporting organizations written one after the other in a line.


"When has it been since I have watched a circus performance I wonder. How about you Lilithea?"


"It is my first. I did read about it in a picture book"


"Picture book"


".....What is it?"


"That is cute and nice. If that is so, feel free to enjoy this to your heart's content"


"What are you saying? This too is part of the job" The serious assistant reminds the detective who is lacking in tension.


"Tatsuya-sama, please do not get distracted by the program, and do not lose sight of the target"


"It is fine. In the first place, I have no interest in the circus performance"


"Is that, so?"


"You see, there are times in the circus performance where there are dangers that are life-threatening right? Like a Flying Trapeze or walking the tightrope. I do not know how to enjoy such things"


After that, when the actual show began, just like I mentioned before, the standard programs were performed. Flying Trapeze, Walking the Tightrope, Acrobatics, and Knife Throwing.


Whenever these unfold before my eyes, my heartbeat quickens and the palms of my hands become drenched in sweat.


"Sakuya......are you alright?"


The sharp-eyed Lilithea notices this and puts her own hand on mine.


I am alright, or so I said while smiling.


"I know. There is no need to think too deeply about the circus performance, just enjoy the thrill. Even a child is able to do this"


However, one is only able to do that because they have not experienced their own death first-hand. They can enjoy it as entertainment only because they do not know the taste of death, its impact, and that loneliness that they can do nothing about.


If the person misses their aim and that knife's trajectory changes by a few more centimeters. If the person's feet slip while walking the tightrope.


Of course, the circus members are supposed to have undergone rigorous training to prevent such mistakes.


However, on the off chance that such a mistake was to happen, there is surely a decent chance that they will lose their lives.


However, leaving aside whether I am personally enjoying this, the programs that are being performed one after another are all actually flashy and have definitely drawn the other audiences in.


The stage has a giant balloon, with a jester's face, which serves as a decoration, and this too, serves to enhance the performance.


A jester I see, or so I casually said to Lilithea. As I say this, Lilithea corrects me with, "That is a clown".


"How are they different?"


"A clown is a jester4. A Pierrot is one of among others.


She sure is informed for someone who only knew of them from picture books.

 

"So that is it. I apologize for not knowing"


"The Pierrot is crying just so you know"


"I am sorry for making the Pierrot cry"


Just who am I apologizing to?


"That is not the case. I said that the one with tear makeup on the cheeks is a Pierrot"


Lilithea said that the role of a Pierrot is to be ridiculed and sneered at. They carry sadness on their shoulders or so she said as well.


When I look at the big clown's face again after being taught these things, as compared to a Pierrot, I am able to see them wearing an evil expression as if they are secretly plotting something. What a person they are! Have you ever thought of the sadness of the Pierrots?


It seems like the dazzling performances are enough to make the people forget that they are on a ship.


When I take a closer look, Lilithea, too, is moving her body slightly from left to right in tune with the merry music.


It seems like she is enjoying her very first circus performance with her entire body, a joyful sight.


Even soLilithea's, and my gaze are also, from the start of the performance, on a spot diagonally left of us, leaving no blindspots.


Makoto Katsuragi is sitting there. Katsuragi does not lean forward and does not seem bored, showing signs of enjoying the circus performance while being indifferent. A male sits to his left, a female to his right.


If he is having a secret meeting with his lover, this would be the perfect chance. If so, the female on the right is suspiciousor so I would say but their distance is weird. They would be more intimate with each other if they were lovers after all.


Just as I was making such observations, a family, who came late, walked in front of Katsuragi, trying to pass through. They stopped in their steps, exchanging two, perhaps three sentences with him and both sides bowed to one another. Most likely acquaintances I would assume.


"I see that no matter how much we keep watch, there are no signs whatsoever of him getting into one-on-one contact with the opposite gender. The wife's suspicion is a misunderstanding, perhaps"


"Is that the case I wonder" Lilithea questions just as I am immersed in the feeling of a quick finish to the request all the while following the acrobatics of the circus members with my eyes.


"Something on your mind?"


"There are no guarantees that the partner of his affair is a female"


"That is......in terms of possibilities, but, that person is married, right? The person requesting is the wife after all"


"It might just be that he found his true self after marriage. Mulling over this, he wonders about the entertainment district with no one to consult; The rain that falls eventually. He gets into a special relationship with the single young man who holds out his hand to him at that very moment. There is nothing odd about this I would say"


"It is not odd per se but"


However, now that she has said this, love does come in many forms.


I am impressed by the diversity of Lilithea's ideas.


"Furthermore, the partner for his lust might not even be human”


"Eh"


"Just speaking in terms of possibility. All a theory"


"For example?"


"A cat, a cactus, or an airplane"


"Please stop it! Please do not ruin the ideas in my head any further!"


As I grab my head, writhing in agony, Lilithea watches and, for some reason, her eyes seem like they are smiling.


I would like her to not look at the suffering of someone with such eyes.


She was like this ever since we met, a strange child.


My meeting with Lilithea takes us back about half a year.


She is an important person related tothe case that my father solved at that timewith me following along as an apprentice.


At that time, I had been through a lot, a whole lot but the case was solved, without any issues, by the hands of my father. No, thinking about it now, I get the feeling that this one in particular was not [without any issues] and that might not be something that can be described with the word solved.


Anyway, after that case, due to certain unavoidable circumstances, Lilithea, after losing her destination, her living space, and her dying space5, eventually gets adopted by the agency. Everything was decided by my father.


Our relationship continues from then on.


"Whatever the case, we still cannot let our guard down. The night is long"


"Well......that is true. We already know where Katsuragi's room is"


There is no need to rush. The cruise has just begun. In fact the night and the journey are long.


"If we do not wish to reveal our tailing, we should find a good time to disguise ourselves as someone like a cleaner and, in his room, set up something like a camera"


At that moment, there was a huge applause. When I took a look, it was a balloon'sno, an actual extroverted clown's (jester's) sleeve is all shriveled up after they did an exaggerated bow.


"Well, leave the thoughts for later, let us observe the target and enjoy the circus performance for now. Look, next up is bike acrobatics, the star of the show"


I try to show interest in the performance albeit somewhat forceful.


A large ball-like cage, with wire meshes all around, eventually shows up at the center of the stage. Motocross bikes enter it one after another.


"Are they going to ride the bike in that ball?"


"Yes. It seems like they are going to ride round and round. They sure have my praise. If it were me, I would have an accident in two seconds and move on to that world"


When I searched it up later, I found out that it was called the Globe of Death. Even its name is scary.


4 - The first clown is written in Katakana (クラウン), the second is in Kanji (道化師). What Lilithea is trying to tell Sakuya is that クラウン is actually 道化師.


5 - This might look weird but the author does another wordplay here. Living space here is written 生き場, dying place 逝き場.

--------

Feel free to comment/pm me if you find any mistakes. The wait is over, the second part is finally out! Thank you so much for reading, I hope that you enjoyed the first chapter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I got eyes that are able to see the number of times various acts are done (I got eyes) - Prologue

I got eyes that are able to see the number of times various acts are done (I got eyes) - Chapter 1 - Episode 1

I got eyes that are able to see the number of times various acts are done (I got eyes) - Chapter 1 - Episode 2