Hanasaku Iroha – The Place That Blooms Someday Chapter 2 Sepal 2

Chapter 2: The Kissuisou Seven Years On

Sepal 2: Grasp The Moratorium

TLed by: TanoshiKara


One by one, the lights in the Hot Spring Town started lighting up.


Ohana, who had spent the time she had while waiting for Sui in Kissuisou due to Yuina's considerate arrangement, turned back reluctantly and looked up at Kissuisou.


"............"


Kissuisou cast its shadow as sunset slowly filled the sky.


She would hear the voices of guests coming from the rows of inns if she were to walk through the Hot Spring Town, but none came from Kissuisou.


Staring at the lightless Kissuisou as she heard the friendly banter reminded Ohana once again of the fact that Kissuisou was still closed for business.


The breath she let out facing the sky was slightly white.


While the sun was out, it was warm enough that she could spend the day without her coat, but the frigidness returned all of a sudden during this time of day.


"So, what're you gonna do going forward?" Yuina asked as she walked silently beside Ohana, who had tucked her head in due to the cold.


"......I don't know. But, I want to talk with Iwasaki-san and Seya-san as well, so......"


And I haven't consulted with Seya-san about the promise - the matter with Mariko Sakura - that I made with Nako.


Ohana did not say it out loud when she remembered that; She only broke into an awkward smile.


"That's why I think that it's better to head back to Tokyo for now. ......I should definitely be able to convince a lot of people that way"


Iwasaki and Seya were able to turn the idea they had thought of on the spur of the moment into the twentieth death anniversary's retrospective exhibition. 


After calming down, Ohana was, as expected, uneasy; Uneasy about whether she could accomplish what took Iwasaki and Seya, although they did balance preparations with their busy schedules, several years of hard work in the forefront to accomplish, in a way shorter period.


"Bon courage!" [Hang in there]


"Eh, Bonkura1?"


"Nope. It means do your best. And, about the exhibition thing, it seems like Enishi-san is already working on it"


"As expected of Young Master! He acts fast!"


Ohana's face, which was clouded with worry, brightened when she heard Yuina's report.


Yuina smiled when she saw that.


"Fufu, Ohana-chan sure hasn't changed"


"......Ah, that's right, Yuina-san. Before I forget......"


Ohana felt around her pocket for Kissuisou's key and took it out to return it.


However, Yuina pushed Ohana's hand back with her palms.


"It's a spare key, so there's no need to return it. It's not like I'd always be around, so hold on to it, Ohana-chan. But flames of any kind are banned. The electricity and water are still running, so I don't mind if you clean the place, but do not ever try to fix any of the damaged places yourself, even if you find any"


"Tu as compris?" Yuina asked slowly, as if she was trying to confirm something important. [Do you understand]


Ohana did not understand French, but she could tell, from Yuina's uncharacteristically stern gaze, that Yuina would cut ties with her if she were to ever break her promise.


"......Oui—I understand, and I promise," Ohana swore while mimicking Yuina's French.  [Yes]


The tension left Yuina, and a kind smile returned to her face.


"......But, by 'It's not like I'd always be around......' Are you going somewhere again?"


Ohana felt that it would be discouraging if Yuina were absent during this period.


"It's not like I have plans to go off to some faraway place, but as long as I am attending university, then studying is a student's duty, right? And I also think that this knowledge would eventually benefit the town"


Ohana felt that the expression Yuina had right now was due to her being at a loss after failing to grasp the opportunity.


"Tatsuko-san and Enishi-san are doing their best to attract various people here, so I, too, must do my—fest it up"


Yuina laughed, seemingly out of embarrassment after trying to express her thoughts using Ohana's catchphrase.


She looked up at Fukuya Inn, which they, coincidentally, were just about to pass by, and smiled fondly.


"Have you not thought of becoming the Madam Manager of Fukuya?"


"Hmm, that's still one of the options, I guess?"


Yuina skipped past Fukuya Inn with springy steps.


"If Ohana-chan were to become the young Madam Manager of Kissuisou, then it'd be nice if we became the famous Madam Managers of Yunosagi. We'll be the content"


"Ehhhh!?" Ohana yelled reflexively when she heard that shocking suggestion.


Yuina turned back and met eyes with Ohana before she smiled. She then stretched her right hand out and touched the tip of Ohana's nose with her finger.


"Jussst kidddinng. It's just one of the possibilities"


Yuina chuckled before she turned back in front and started walking once again.


While feeling nostalgic from Yuina's free-spirited attitude, Ohana followed behind her.


"But, it's about time I decided; There are various things—. I do want to enjoy my current lifestyle to the fullest, but I can't be saying things like that......I guess?"


Amidst the scenery, darkening as dusk approached, Yuina's murmur sounded like uncertainty to Ohana.


"......Is it about Kissuisou......?" Ohana asked, remembering the uneasiness still lingering in her heart.


Yuina stopped when she heard that before raising the index finger of her right hand and moving it from side to side.


"There's that, but I can't abandon my precious friend, right?"


"Yuina-san!"


Ohana hugged Yuina all of a sudden, and she let out an embarrassed yelp.


"Well, I am the person in charge of managing Kissuisou, after all," Yuina said in a kind voice as she met eyes with Ohana, who had tears in her eyes, before gently getting Ohana off of her.


"That's why I'll follow you until the very end, Ohana-chan. But if that doesn't work—"


Covering Yuina's mouth from behind, Ohana shook her head from side to side, twice.


"You can't think like that! We must believe that it'll definitely go well!"


"......D'accord......"  [Okay]


Yuina exhaled silently as she waited for the grip of the hand covering her mouth to loosen.


"D-D'acco......?"


Ohana tried repeating the word she heard.


She did not know its meaning, but she knew, at the very least, that Yuina seemed to agree with her.


She had also gotten quite used to Yuina's manner of speaking.


"Come to think of it, Ohana-chan, have you thought of the photo exhibition's title?"


"T-Title?"


They had stopped many times while they walked, but the train station was already right in front of them.


Ohana's conversation with Yuina was also approaching its end.


"Yes. A brilliant title that will resonate with the selfie-takers too"


"Ug......"


Ohana knew that if she returned to Tokyo today, Yuina probably wouldn't have the time to talk face-to-face with her for quite a while. In that sense, Ohana felt that this topic Yuina had brought up made her realize, painfully so, that her idea was still nothing more than something she had thought of at the spur of the moment.


"Hmm......taking into account that my dad's name is in it, Ayato Matsumae...Yunosagi's Hot Spring Town......Related works...Permanent exhibition......for example?"


Permanent Exhibition of Ayato Matsumae's Related Works on Yunosagi's Hot Spring Town—.


"Hmmmm...... It's all in Kanji, and wouldn't it be better if it's something cuter? It must strike a chord with your target audience"


Yuina, too, had probably reviewed the current situation in her own way.


It was a perspective that Ohana had never thought of.


Was it too naive of me to think that I could organize one immediately if I had the photos......, or so Ohana thought as Yuina's phone rang, playing a shrill foreign song she did not recognize.


"Ah, it's Grandma—. Well then, I'll be off"


"Okay, see you again"


It was probably an urgent matter as Yuina hurriedly bid farewell before she rushed off down the path they had come from.


Ohana saw Yuina off, waiting until she could only see her back in the distance before entering the station hut.


The meeting time was approaching, but Sui was not in the station hut, nor was she on the platform beyond it.


"......Wonder if she's still at work......"


Ohana was eager to meet Sui, but she was also scared.


Come to think of it, we have spent time alone together, but this is the first time I've been made to wait for her.


"Maybe she got too lax because she's meeting a family member......"


We could barely have a conversation at Fukuya Inn because of Madam Manager's position as a waitress, but we might be interacting as grandmother and granddaughter this time.


"Will she give me candy?" Ohana said, putting a simple question she had into words.


No way, or so Ohana said, hoping expectantly, even as she smiled awkwardly, that they could fill the gap left behind by the seven years they had not met.


She would not have the time for such thoughts if Sui had arrived at the station before her, but thoughts flashed across her mind one after another due to the free time she had all of a sudden.


"Might be good if I decide on what to talk about beforehand"


Remembering that she was scolded just after they met at Fukuya Inn, Ohana pressed her hand against her chest out of nervousness.


She took deep breaths, calmed herself down, and wracked her brain once again, feeling that she had to make use of the free time she had all of a sudden.


"What I want to tell Madam Manager; What I must tell Madam Manager"


Although Ohana and Sui did exchange letters, they had spent seven years apart from each other, so Ohana had many things she wanted to ask and talk about.


"Wonder how she's spending her time recently. What has she been doing on her rest days......? Has she been visiting Kissuisou to have a look as well? In that case—"


Anyway, I want to have a calm conversation with her this time. How should I bring it up in order to have such a conversation......


"Dad's retrospective exhibition......"


She made a frame with her hands and tried looking around the town of Yunosagi through it.


Just then, she heard a lively voice coming from the station hut.


"Awwww, I sure wanted to take a photo with the Bonboris......"


"Now, now. This nostalgic-looking station sign looks quite nice too, right?"


"That so? Can't I find this in places like my Grandma's hometown?"


Ohana could see three women, likely in their late twenties, posing as they tried to take a photo, with the station hut as the background, with the phone they had on the end of a selfie stick.


"Ah, it ran out of battery......"


"Ehhhh, you're kidding, right? Even though that would've come out good," One of them, who was taking the photos as she adjusted the angle, muttered.


"Wanna take with mine?" Another asked in response.


"There's no need to go that far to take a deserted station, is there?"


"It's fine, then, I guess. Looks like the train is almost here anyway"


The sound from the railway crossing echoed from afar.


The women came up to the platform when they heard it.


"............"


Ohana tried to observe them from the corner of her eye.


They don't have any belongings that are particularly large, but they might have left them at a hotel.


At this time of the day, and during a weekday as well, I wonder where they came from.


They really want to take a photo with the Bonboris, so I am sure that they came here due to the breeze that is blowing.


Their objective is to take photos, so they probably don't plan to stay over for the night.


"Wanna write on the blog that there weren't any Bonboris?"


"Ehhhh, ain't it a pain to go out of our way to write it?"


They'll post things that are detrimental to Yunosagi on SNS and hinder us, much less stay at one of Yunosagi's Hot Spring Inns.


As I thought, visitors must have things to look at, or else......


Ohana recalled what Yuina and Jiroumaru had said.


It was not feasible to put up the Bonboris all year round. And, even if they knew many people came for the Bonboris and the young beauty, making a face cutout panel of her was a strange idea, and Ohana had the feeling that Manager Iida would never allow it.


Even so, if Mariko's photo were here, it would entice the selfie takers.


"Something that would look nice in photos other than the Bonboris......"


But that's not what I really want them to see. There's a lot, but I can't think of one right away that could cause a tailwind to blow.


That scenery of the Bonbori Festival that captivated me is special.


"But if there were a photo exhibition, people would definitely want to visit it. Make people aware of Yunosagi's charm with the photos left behind by Dad......I must make this a success no matter what......"


Her determination had turned into a murmur that leaked out of her mouth.


The time I have left is, even if I am generous with my estimation, about a year. There's no leeway for me to try out other ideas.


I must develop this idea so that it cannot be called an idea that has merely been thought of on the spur of the moment.


"But—"


I wonder what I should consider a success. Holding the photo exhibition is not the goal. That is just a visible goal, the first true success that would lead to the saving of Kissuisou.


Whether I can do it or not is something I would not know until I try.


But, anyway, I should fest it up!


What should I do, and how much time do I have to do it? I won't be able to do my best if I don't have the slightest idea; Won't be able to fest it up even if I want to.


Only a year left. I should start with the photo exhibition for now—


I've already decided that. With that decided, all that's left is to charge right ahead.


"......Alright"


Sui walked up beside Ohana just as she clenched her fists to ascertain the determination welling up in her heart.


"Oh, it looks like I made you wait for quite a while"


Sui used her gloved fingers to pinch the nose of Ohana as she turned, which had turned red from the cold.


Hearing Sui's words, her tone the epitome of unapologetic, Ohana took out her phone and checked the time.


It had just turned 5:01 p.m.


Rather than getting lax around a family member, Sui had appeared right on time.


As I thought, Madam Manager is Madam Manager.


"Hey, what are you doing? Let us be off"


"Eh, what do you mean by 'Let us be off?'"


The train bound for Kanazawa had arrived at the station platform before Sui could reply.


After the doors opened, Sui boarded the train as if it was the most natural thing to do. Ohana hurriedly followed after her.


A box seat for four people.


Sui sat down on one of them, showing no signs of hesitation. Ohana sat opposite her.


Ohana wanted to meet her, but now that they had actually met, she could not help but feel nervous.


Fearful that Sui was angry, Ohana literally kept her head down and gauged Sui's mood, but Sui merely gazed at the scenery outside the window, her expression tranquil.


She continued to do so even as the scenery darkened with the coming of dusk and the train started moving.


With her head still down, Ohana observed Sui discreetly by stealing glances at her periodically.


She saw an overlap of Sui's figure in her elegant outdoor wear - a bright green yukata paired with a dark purple haori - with Sui's figure from seven years ago, when Sui saw her off at the station platform.


Although Sui had just finished a gruelling waitress shift, Ohana felt that nothing had changed, not her upper body posture, which was straight as a pole, nor her stern face.


"For what reason are you stealing glances at me?"


"I-I am sorry!"


Ohana apologized reflexively as she hung her head, but to her surprise, Sui merely let out a soft chuckle.


"You would get told off should you do this to a stranger, but we are relatives. I do not know what you are thinking, but your face suggests that you have matured considerably over these past seven years"


After removing her gloves, Sui smiled awkwardly as she put her hand over Ohana's.


Her hand was slim, dry, and wrinkled.


I thought that nothing had changed when I saw her in the afternoon. I still do.


Young Master did say she had gotten older, which, looking at her up close, I can tell that the years that have passed have been carved into her face and body.


"Have I changed that much......?"


Even so, Ohana thought that the Sui sitting opposite of her had the same elegant beauty and iron will. To her, Sui was the very definition of a proprietress, so much so that she thought it was a shame that Sui was working as a waitress.


"Who knows. It seems like you have not changed much," Sui said as she smiled.


Ohana knew, for some reason, that it was not a compliment.


"............"


Ohana looked at her and Sui's reflection in the window. Sui's expression was tranquil.


It has to be now if I wanna tell her.


Ohana wanted to talk about Kissuisou; About the breeze that was starting to blow on SNS; About her photo exhibition idea; About the things she had discussed with Yuina and Enishi in the afternoon; About the things she had realized and the thoughts she had after walking around and looking at the current Kissuisou; About many other things.


"......U-Umm......Madam Mana—"


Ohana tried to bring it up.


"Listen here, Ohana," Sui, however, interrupted in a gentle tone as she looked straight at Ohana before she shook her head.


"Please refrain from bringing up that topic for now. I would want to voice my gripes on such a complex topic, and you would likely want to force your opinions on me. There are customers here who came to Yunosagi to sightsee. Do you wish to ruin their experience over some insignificant argument?”


Sui signaled with her gaze, and beyond it were the three females Ohana saw on the platform.


Although there was no longer any Bonboris, they were enthusiastically showing each of their photos to the others, seemingly satisfied with their photos.


"But—"


Can they really be called customers who came to Yunosagi to sightsee?


"It is not like I am only talking about the present. In any case, although we have been exchanging letters, it has been seven years. Are there not a countless number of casual topics? For example, what was his name again......? The person who came from Tokyo to visit you—"


"Ko-chan?"


"Right, right, what is that Ko-chan doing right now? You are not going to tell me that he broke up with you, right?"


"N-No!"


After Sui incited her, Ohana talked briefly about the seven years she spent with Kouichi. Sui backchanneled quietly as Ohana spoke, only speaking up after listening to everything Ohana had to say.


"......I see. He works at a remarkable company. I must hand it to him for being able to choose such a steady way of life in this day and age. I have only met him once, but I see that he is someone who will most likely treasure you"


"Yes......"


Hearing compliments about Kouichi while Sui looked her in the eye made Ohana break into a smile.


After recalling Kouichi's smile, Ohana felt that she was less nervous.


"You should do your best to respond to his feelings. He will actually break up with you should you not do that"


"T-That's......" Ohana mumbled, unable to say for certain that it was not going to happen.


Sui let out a stifled chuckle before clearing her throat and looking Ohana in the eyes once again.


"Even if that does not happen, he might pass on early just like Satsuki's and my husba—"


Ohana's underarms were dripping with cold sweat after she heard such ominous words.


"K-Ko-chan will be fine! Erm, he got As for everything in his health checkup before he started work, and he is a cautious person who would get the corn out of a can of corn potage using water!"


"Hahaha, a strange example, but if you go as far as to say that, then it is probably true"


"Erm, what kind of photo did you receive from my dad, Madam Manager!? And when did you receive it?"


Although she was hesitant, Ohana was desperate to change the topic.


"Ahh, I received it in exchange for my thank-you letter. He was a frequent customer of Kissuisou after all"


"How about after my mum got married?" Ohana asked, trying to overwhelm Sui with questions.


Hearing this, Sui shifted her gaze to the scenery outside the window; The street lights at dusk caused her to narrow her eyes.


"That was the only thing I got from him when he was a customer. However, Ohana, I was sent a family portrait taken shortly after you were born"


Sui did not say who exactly sent her the family portrait.


Curious about whether it was because she was intentionally trying to be ambiguous or if she really did not know, Ohana asked her another question.


"Was that from my mum? Or was it from my dad?"


"Who knows," Sui replied quietly as she averted her eyes, seemingly having no intention of answering Ohana.


Denroku merely wrote in the logs that he left behind that Satsuki came to Kissuisou while carrying the young Ohana in her arms.


"......Have you not met my mum after my dad passed away......?" Ohana asked as she recalled that fact.


Sui smiled slightly when she heard that question and put one of her thin fingers on her chin.


"My goodness, be it Satsuki or me, I wonder if women of the Shijima household are fated to be workaholics. I will have to pass on such complex topics; Let us get back to the topic, shall we? ......Well, leaving your boyfriend behind and rushing here without a second thought, you have truly come to resemble Satsuki when she was youn—" Sui said, but stopped all of a sudden and cast her eyes down.


"......Madam Manager?" Ohana called out to Sui, worried that she might not be feeling well, but she broke into an awkward smile and shook her head.


"Even though I said not to talk about complex topics...It was bad of me to have brought Satsuki up. Let us talk about something else. A casual topic; Some other type of topic"


Ohana wracked her brain after hearing Sui's emphasis on a casual topic.


Talking about my work in Tokyo is......not fit for such an occasion. Talking about Enishi and Tatsuko, and my reunion with Denroku and Jiroumaru would eventually lead to Kissuisou.


Every single topic Ohana thought of would eventually lead to a complex topic, so she found it hard to bring up any of them. 


However, Sui seems to have reached the same conclusion as she met eyes with Ohana and let out a small chuckle.


"It seems like our relationship itself is complex in the first place. Well, there is no need to force yourself if you cannot find a topic. I am alright with us staying silent from here on out. I have just gotten off work after all......so I might doze off. Wake me up when we reach Kanazawa station if I do," Sui said as she straightened her back.


Feels like she has no intention of dozing off.


"............"


The heater near her feet was warm, and together with the rocking of the train, they made Ohana feel comfy.


She was assaulted by a sense of tiredness, perhaps because of her exhaustion. She was the one who felt like she was about to fall asleep.


"......Could I turn it......"


She could hear Sui mutter as she dozed off to sleep.


"To think that I, of all people, was overly excited"


Ohana meant to chuckle, but she fell asleep before that.




"......Ohana. Ohana, we are transferring"


She woke up after Sui shook her and hurriedly got off the train. Sui guided Ohana along as she rubbed her half-opened eyes, and they managed to transfer to a bus. During that time, her mind was starting to clear up little by little.


The bus drove away from the station and headed for the business district.


Ohana felt a little relieved to learn that Sui was not intending to drive her away by having her board a bullet train.


They got off the bus they had boarded in front of Kanazawa station and walked down the business district and the stone pavements on the backstreets.


A small but refined restaurant eventually came into view while Ohana was following Sui, who continued to walk without turning back even once. In front of its lattice door was a woman, likely a staff member, comforting a baby.


"There, there. They will be here soon"


Swaying her body from left to right, the woman comforted the baby, wrapped in cloth, and she turned to face Ohana and Sui.


"Ahh, Madam Manager! We have been waiting for you!"


"Ah!"


Seeing the nostalgic face of that woman made Ohana point reflexively as she exclaimed.


"......Oh my goshhh! Ohana-chan!? It has been a long whileee"


"Oh my goshhh, Tomoe-san!"


Perhaps shocked by their voices, the baby Tomoe was cradling started to cry. Hearing this, Tomoe started to comfort the baby by swaying her body from left to right in a seemingly seasoned manner once again.


Ohana broke into a smile when she saw that Tomoe seemed to have gotten used to her role as a mother.


"Congratulations Tomoe-san"


"Congratulations? About what?"


"Your baby sure is cute...... Does your baby take after his father?" Ohana asked innocently as she peeked at the baby, who stopped crying soon after.


Just then, the restaurant's door opened and two customers, most likely a married couple, stepped out.


"Thank you, Tomoe-san"


"No, no. I thank you as well for always patronizing us"


"We could take our time to enjoy our meal because of you"


The woman smiled as she took the baby from Tomoe's hands and cradled the baby in her arms.


Ohana fell silent when she saw that the woman's face bore a close resemblance to the baby's, and she averted her eyes awkwardly.


"I'm sorry. I thought that—"


"Ahahaha. It's fine, it's fine! I may look like this, but I'm actually a one-hundred percent self-dependent woman, so! My fated partner has yet to appear before me. Now that I'm this self-dependent, I no longer have any intention of selling myself short," Tomoe replied proudly, brushing off Ohana's apology with a bright smile.


"I'm glad you are over it!" Ohana responded excitedly, not realizing that Tomoe had a strange expression on her face.


"Pardon the interruption, but we have a bullet train to catch. Could you let us in as soon as possible?"


"Right, I apologize, Madam Manager"


Sui followed Tomoe into the small restaurant, without remarking about how she was addressed.


Come to think of it, she felt the same in those letters as well.


Her sharp tone at Fukuya Inn might be because she wanted me to understand her position as a waitress.


"As I thought, everyone thinks of Madam Manager as Madam Manager"


Feeling relieved, Ohana followed Sui down the alley of the small restaurant as if she was chasing after her back.


They entered a Tatami room and sat facing each other at the table with the 'Reserved' plaque placed on it.


Tomoe brought over their dishes that looked delicious soon after.


Appetizers like boiled rapeseed flowers in soy sauce, tortoiseshell eggs, and a bite-sized steamed dish made with fresh prawn and red king crab meat lined the table.


These dishes seem to be made with care, but it seems like there is no time for me to enjoy the meal.


I must bring it up as soon as possible.


The old wall clock on one of the Tatami room's pillars told Ohana that the time for them to board the bullet train was approaching second by second. She had no intention of using the bullet train as a reason to interrupt the conversation, but Sui, who had turned Tomoe down with "We have a bullet train to catch," had set a time limit for Ohana.


I was the one who threw away my job and rushed here due to a misunderstanding. I had prepared myself to be criticized for my lack of responsibility, but things have changed now that I only have a year to build Kissuisou back up.


I must get Madam Manager to agree no matter what.


'I will become Sui Shijima.' The revival of Kissuisou is mandatory to fulfill that dream. Higher education and getting a job are merely checkpoints I pass as I head towards my goal.


I won't be able to shine unless I reach my goal......


A thought, the polar opposite of the one evoked from the words Ohana's father said to her mother, smoldered in her heart: that she must become Sui Shijima or she will not be able to sparkle.


A drama can be made anywhere. But my drama can only be made at Kissuisou—.


As long as this is the case, it is crucial that Madam Manager understand why the photo exhibition has to be organized at Kissuisou. I have to use this to get a breakthrough in this situation and tell Madam Manager, once more, about my burning desire to rebuild Kissuisou.


I'm starting to think this is my only chance to hit her with these burning feelings that I could not tell her through letters alone.


Now that I think this through, this is the one time where I cannot back down even if Madam Manager means to send me back to Tokyo.


No matter how harsh a reply she would give me, as long as Madam Manager is the one I'm talking to, I cannot avoid complex topics.


"Erm—"


Come to think of it, now is not the time to enjoy my luxurious meal, huh.


"We are eating right now"


But how do I bring it up?


It was as if Sui had no intention of lending an ear, and this had Ohana rubbing her palms against her lap under the table.


"There is no need to hurry. Now is the time to enjoy this earnestly prepared meal. ......You have seen from serving customers during a business meeting that complex topics are only brought up after the meal, right?" Sui said as she gazed at Ohana after setting her chopsticks down on the chopstick rest.


"Eh? Business meeting?" Ohana asked after she heard an unexpected phrase.


Just then, Ohana noticed that a chef with a masculine face resembling Renji's was carrying a wooden bowl of a stewed dish with a nervous expression.


She straightened her back when she saw him and turned to face him.


"Oh my, to think the owner himself would show himself......"


"I had a young'un make this Jibu-ni2. If I could have the Madam Manager of Kissuisou do a taste test...... This is on the house"


The Jibu-ni, a dish originating from Kanazawa, had Gensuke radish3 served in a Lacquer bowl with other cooked ingredients, cut into beautiful shapes and arranged neatly in the bowl.


"It would be impudent of me to do a taste test of something you have approved and served to your customers. However, if it is to nurture a young chef, I shall brace myself and do it"


Although it had been seven years since Kissuisou had shut down, Sui was still the Madam Manager in the eyes of the people from the hotel industry and the restaurants in this region.


Sui probably took pride in that as well, as there was a hint of nervousness within that calm exchange. That nervousness caused Ohana to forget her anxiousness and drew her to Sui's body movements.


Sui lowered her chopsticks into the bowl, brought a bite of the dish into her mouth, and took her time to taste it.


"—Yes, it truly is delicious. Please do not forget to charge us for this"


The owner broke into a broad smile when he saw Sui's smile.


"Ohana, you should have some as well"


"O-Okay"


Ohana brought a bite of the Jibu-ni to her mouth after she was urged to by Sui.


The ingredients had been carefully stewed, preserving their vibrant colors and allowing them to be infused with the broth’s flavor. The umami from them spread through her mouth with every chew.


"It's really delicious!" Ohana exclaimed with her hands on her cheeks.


There was some noise from the kitchen, as if it were reacting to Ohana's words.


The owner nodded, seemingly satisfied, and shifted his gaze to Sui once again.


"Our young'un would also be overjoyed to have gained Madam Manager's approval"


He bowed politely and signaled to Tomoe, who was standing behind him.


"Call the chef here and have the chef greet them"


"Alright"


Tomoe headed excitedly to the kitchen, and the person she brought along with her was a slim female chef, who had her long hair bundled at the back of her head.


The chef took off her cap and bowed deeply.


"Madam Manager, it has been quite a long while"


It could be seen from her mature mannerisms that the improvement in her cooking skills was not the only result of her training.


"Minko. It seems like you have put in quite the effort. I am most delighted to see that"


"Minchi? It's Minchiii"


Ohana felt nostalgic when she saw Minko.


"So Minchi was the one who made this stewed dish! It was delicious. Really delicious...... This proves that you've caught up with Tetsu-san, right? No, you might have even surpassed Tetsu-san!"


Minko glared sharply at Ohana when she exclaimed excitedly with the same enthusiasm she had when they were high schoolers.


"......Tetsu-san is not someone I can easily surpass. He has sharpened his skills even further since then, even I—"


Minko tried to rebut, but she swallowed her words halfway through, perhaps realizing her position as a chef.


"......Next up on the menu is grilled fish, followed by Atsumono4, and Sashimi. Please take your time to enjoy the meal," She continued, averting her eyes from Ohana.


She then bowed politely to Sui before returning to the kitchen.


"Eh......"


—Balut!


Minko did not yell her signature insult. On top of that, she did not glare at Ohana, merely glancing at her before she left.


Failing to get the reaction she was expecting had Ohana blinking her eyes in disbelief.


"......You truly have not changed," Sui murmured.


She said nothing else and ate the remaining Jibu-ni elegantly.




The restaurant's dishes were served without a hitch, and the dessert, sculpted mochi with red bean, was brought over along with roasted green tea, which had a fragrant scent.


Just as Ohana was sipping some of the roasted green tea, looking for an opportunity to bring the topic up, the owner came out from the kitchen, along with Minko and Tomoe, to express his gratitude.


There were less than two hours until the bullet train arrived.


While glancing at Sui and the owner as they conversed, Ohana brought a bite of the sculpted mochi to her mouth, having somewhat given up on that idea when Sui suddenly shifted her gaze to Ohana.


"......Well then, Ohana. Let's hear it, shall we?"


Sui was the one who brought up the topic all of a sudden.


"Eh?"


"Tomoe and Minko, if you do not mind, could you have a seat for a short while? Rest assured, this should not take long"


Tomoe and Minko turned to the owner when they heard Sui's words.


Seeing as there was little foot traffic, the owner nodded and went back to the kitchen.


"............"


Tomoe and Minko took a side each, and they sat down beside Sui.


With all three of their attention drawn to her, Ohana was at a loss for words, even though she had wanted to talk about it so badly.


"......I will not scold you at this point. Only tell them the most crucial parts, and keep it short and understandable. Do you understand?"


"I don't know if I can do a good job of summarizing it, but—"


"You should start from what you came to do," Sui urged the hesitant Ohana.


"What I came to do......"


The answer to that is obvious. I have dreamt of that day for seven years!


"—I came here to revive Kissuisou!"


"Revive—"


"Kissuisou!?"


Minko and Tomoe looked at each other, probably thinking that Ohana's declaration came out of nowhere.


"That's right! I have an actual idea. It's this!"


She looked through her bag and took out the catalog.


"We will organize my dad's photo exhibition at Kissuisou!"


Ohana quickly flipped to the page with the Bonboris and the young beauty and showed it to them.


"Ah, this," Tomoe said softly.


Minko nodded.


As expected, the photo with Mariko Sakura and the Bonboris had become quite popular locally as well.


"This was in the local news on the cable TV of that TV station Nako had joined"


"I have heard this from a customer as well. It has made waves on the internet for being the treasured photo of a popular actress, right? Ohhhh......the photo book of Ohana-chan's father, huh......"


Minko's and Tomoe's reactions were promising. However, Sui did not even twitch her eyebrows, and to Ohana, it seemed like she had a dubious expression as she looked at the catalog.


"Is something wrong, Madam Manager?"


"......Can I borrow this for a minute?" Sui asked before she held the right sleeve of her kimono with her left hand and took the catalog with her right.


"Ayato Matsumae's retrospective exhibition......huh. This brings back memories...many memories......"


She placed the catalog on the table and flipped through it gently as she looked at each photo.


Ohana gazed at her as she did this to observe her reaction, but Ohana pursed her lips as she realized that Sui had a totally different reaction from Denroku.


Ohana knew that to Sui, the catalog had photos vividly depicting the nostalgic Yunosagi of the past. However, Sui's expression hardly changed when she looked at the photos.


After looking at the final photo, Sui returned the catalog to Ohana without ever giving any of its photos a second look.


"Will you let us do it......?" Ohana asked as she took the catalog from Sui, but Sui did not reply.


"............"


"I think...it's interesting"


Tomoe was the one who broke the silence.


"The photo exhibition of Ohana's father was only organized in Tokyo, right? I will definitely go if it is organized at Kissuisou. I think Nako-chan would definitely go as well. Should we invite Ren-san and the others too, and go there with everyone? You'll go with Tooru-san, right, Minko-chan?"


Tomoe seems to have given Ohana a helping hand, as it looked like Sui was not going to say anything.


"Wait a minute, it's not like Tooru-san and I are like that"


Tomoe's usual teasing had Minko reacting nostalgically.


"You've been meeting each other occasionally, right?"


"Just for things like study sessions among fellow chefs and eating together at a newly opened restaurant...... Well, I think that Tooru-san will go if a photo exhibition were to be organized at Kissuisou, though"


"Then it's a once in a blue moon gathering of everyone involved. Should we make it an alumni reunion as well?"


Ohana was happy that the two of them were interested in the idea, but she felt that the difference between her enthusiasm and theirs was painfully clear, which caused her to stand up despite herself.


"That's wrong...... After all, doesn't an alumni reunion mean that Kissuisou can't be revived!"


"......Ohana......chan?"


Tomoe looked up at Ohana, surprised.


Ohana paid that no mind and continued.


"I want to cause a tailwind to blow in Yunosagi once again with my dad's photo exhibition. If we organize a year-round photo exhibition at Kissuisou, then customers would visit Kissuisou. If they learn that Kissuisou benefits Yunosagi, then they should not put an eccentric turtle head on its roof or demolish it. That's why this is an important topic on a bet that involves Kissuisou's existence!"


"Wind......Turtle......?"


Tomoe and Minko probably did not even understand half of it. They looked at each other with puzzled expressions.


Madam Manager did say to make it understandable, but I don't care about that anymore.


"How about it, Madam Manager!" Ohana asked, her breathing heavy.


Ohana placed her hands on the table and looked at Sui.


Blood had rushed to her head, and Ohana felt like she might get a nosebleed from the excitement.


Sui looked calmly at Ohana before sipping some of her roasted green tea that had gone cold.


"......It is not...about what...I want to do"


"Eh?"


Ohana had been so ready for Sui to scold her or argue with her that her body lost its strength, and she slowly sank to the floor.


"In the first place, the current Kissuisou is as good as the Credit Union's property. I cannot do anything about that. I say the Hot Spring Association and the Credit Union should do as they wish"


Should Sui's words be taken literally, it would mean that Ohana had gotten Sui's approval.


However, that was not the reply Ohana wanted to hear from Sui.


"......Madam Manager......is there something......that dissatisfies you?"


An indifferent approval as if it were someone else's matter. Rather than receive a reply like that, it'd be better if she turned me down from the start.


"Indeed. It is true that I am dissatisfied. And, to be clear, it is not about the photo exhibition"


"Then......"


Ohana did not understand what Sui was getting at.


"Ohana, you said that you came here to revive Kissuisou, correct?"


"......Yes"


Sui narrowed her eyes and glared sharply at Ohana.


"The revival of Kissuisou you speak of. Does that mean the resumption of business?"


Ohana nodded as she looked straight into Sui's eyes.


That was, of course, her final goal. To have Kissuisou resume its business and gather everyone.


She had dreamt of the day she fulfilled that promise.


"If it is business resumption you are thinking of, then it is far beyond your ability. Do you think Enishi and Tatsuko were merely twiddling their thumbs for these past seven years? We are only here right now because they acted on and exhausted most of the options they could think of. I, on the contrary, am happy; Happy that they put in the effort to become capable individuals trusted by the locals. You have heard that Enishi has been recommended to be the association's director, right?"


"......I heard it from Yuina-san"


Ohana had not only heard it from Yuina, but she had talked to the people themselves for a short while.


She was happy about Enishi's and Tatsuko's growth as well.


"I am well aware that the topic of Kissuisou being sold off has come up. You see, the former Credit Union's chairman went out of his way to contact me when he fell, and I visited him. He apologized for the uncertainty of Kissuisou's fate if he stepped down, and I told him it was time...... In the first place, I was the one who relinquished ownership of Kissuisou after all"


"B-But Madam Manager said to me, did you not......that you'd be waiting for me"


—I will be waiting for you.


Ohana believed that those words meant that Sui had entrusted her with rebuilding Kissuisou.


"I did. And I have waited; For seven whole years—. I am still waiting even now"


As expected, Ohana did not understand what Sui was getting at.


Ohana thought that organizing a photo exhibition with the photos of Yunosagi her father took would not guarantee that Kissuisou would resume its business as an inn, but it should act as an opportunity.


"............"


If she's waiting even at this moment, then why did she say it was time?


"E-Erm, Madam Manager," Tomoe said, unable to bear the silence any longer.


"By it was time......do you mean Kissuisou is......"


"Is that why......Ohana came here......all of a sudden?"


Tomoe's and Minko's voices quivered from uneasiness.


"Who is...to say? I have not heard of anything that has been set in stone...... However, it is probably not a situation we can laugh off as Ohana jumping to conclusions," Sui said indifferently.


"—In that case! If it's not me jumping to conclusions—"


"Hold on"


Sui swiftly cut Ohana off and continued.


"I would be happy to see Kissuisou get by for years to come. Kissuisou is, of course, important to me after all—. However, I am not asking for you to do something about it, Ohana"


Ohana gulped reflexively when she heard Sui's resolute words.


"I am fine with the photo exhibition. However, what would you gain from this, assuming that you could organize it, that is? Is it truly necessary that you abandon your job and relationships in Tokyo? Mull it over. On top of that, those who are abandoned would be greatly inconvenienced," Sui said, her tone gentle.


However, as gentle as her words sounded, they dealt grave emotional damage to Ohana.


"......Minko and Tomoe, I apologize for having you join us. I chose this restaurant tonight as I merely thought that Ohana would be happy to meet her former colleagues, but it seems to have not been meaningless"


"No......"


Minko and Tomoe looked at each other, at a loss for how to reply to Sui.


"Ohana, you were annoyed that the two of them were excited over the alumni reunion, right? Think about it. That is how little that idea of yours amounts to in the eyes of people who have long since found, and are walking, their own path"


"............"


Sui had seen through Ohana and knew the idea was something she thought of on the spur of the moment.


Ohana could not find the words to refute, as she knew, regardless of how much she insisted it was a good idea, that she had not come up with a single plan that would cause a tailwind to blow.


Tomoe and Minko were at a loss for words, seemingly unable to find the right words to say to Ohana.


"There are those who call Kissuisou a local heritage, the treasure of the town, and the like. However, we live in the modern era. The way I built up Kissuisou should no longer be used as a model example. No one can become Sui Shijima; No one should ever become Sui Shijima"


Sui's seemingly presumptuous words were, ironically, said in the kindest of tones, one that the Sui Ohana knew would never use with her.


"......That's—"


Something I definitely don't want to hear.


Ohana felt like she was having a nightmare.


She clenched her fists; Clenched so strongly that her arms shook; Clenched so strongly that her nails could leave marks on her hands, and yet, the scenery before her did not change in the slightest.


"Madam Manager, you said that you'd be waiting...You said you're still waiting even now......Even though...even though you said that......"


Ohana could hardly speak as she herself did not know what she wanted to say. Even so, she felt that she had to say something; That she had to tell Sui something, so she stared at Sui in an attempt to do so, and quivered her lips.


"......Ohana"


Sui fixed her posture and called Ohana's name once again.


Ohana thought that Sui called her name with a gentle tone very much resembling something she had once wished - a granny who would give her candy.


"......What I am very much looking forward to, even at this moment, is not the revival of Kissuisou"


Met with the gentle gaze she had seen a long time ago, Ohana could do nothing but purse her lips.


There was so much chaos in her heart that she could cry at any moment if she let her guard down.


"The next time you bring up a complex topic, please let me hear something that only you, the one and only Ohana Matsumae, could bring up"


You, the one and only Ohana Matsumae, could bring up—


Regardless of whether she realized it, Ohana had bitten her lip as those words ran through her mind.


Just then, the phone Ohana had put at the corner of the table vibrated.


The phone moved with its vibration. Tomoe peered at the screen on behalf of Ohana, who did not lift her head to look.


"......It looks like it's from......Yuina-chan, you know?" Tomoe said softly as she held out the phone.


"I do not mind. You may answer the phone"


Urged by Sui, Ohana answered the call without lifting her head, and put the phone against her ear.


"Ohana-chan, have you boarded the bullet train?"


"......No, not yet......"


"That's a relief!" Yuina, who was on the other side of the phone, continued excitedly.


"You see, Enishi-san went for a drink with the person in charge at the CU, and they wanted to hear more about the photo exhibition matter. Ohana-chan, could you come back here and attend the meeting at one in the afternoon tomorrow?"


"......Meeting...tomorrow? With the CU......?"


Ohana's expression got brighter by the second as she softly repeated Yuina's words.


"......My goodness. Looks like other people have gotten involved, huh"


Sui smiled bitterly as she let out a sigh. She then sipped her tea quietly.


"There is no turning back......huh," Sui muttered, her gaze gentle.

--------

1 - Part of the pronunciation of Bon courage sounds like Bonkura, which means idiot in English


2 - A stew made from simmering duck or chicken meat coated in flour, wheat, gluten, various vegetables, and mushrooms in dashi stock


3 - A type of radish grown in Kaga City, Ishikawa. It is good for simmering dishes like buri-daikon (simmered Amberjack/Yellowtail, with radish) as it does not break apart easily


4 - A broth made with fish and vegetables

--------


I apologize for the long wait. Thank you very much for reading, I hope that you enjoyed the chapter!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I got eyes that are able to see the number of times various acts are done (I got eyes) - Prologue

I got eyes that are able to see the number of times various acts are done (I got eyes) - Chapter 1 - Episode 2

Hanasaku Iroha – The Place That Blooms Someday Prologue